Saturday, October 27, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

Irene

(picture found on Swagbucks search)

Last year Hurricane Irene was projected to hit South Jersey full force.  I live on one of the barrier islands in South Jersey.  I was totally freaked.  I took my daughter, our 3 dogs and cat and fled as soon as I heard that  our island was under a mandatory evacuation.  I went out to central Pennsylvania to a friend's home who was willing to take us in.  I was glued to the weather channel.  I was worried about my home, worried about my friends and neighbors who didn't leave, worried about my island.  I was up all night watching the weather channel the night Irene was predicted to hit my home.  To everyone's surprise, at the very last minute almost, Irene decided to take a sharp northern swing and the force missed us completely.  Don't get me wrong, my island definitely felt the impact of her.  We had sever flooding, flooding like our island has never seen before.
I don't really know how to explain how large our beach is, I am not sure if you can get the real idea from this picture, but I can tell you that in some places there is a tram that takes people from the boardwalk to the water's edge. (Picture found on swagbucks search)


Why do I tell you this, well Irene decided that the ocean should be under our boardwalk.  Most of the island was under water as well.  This picture shows a street half a block from my house.


So you see, that even though we were not hit directly we still had a lot to deal with.  Two days later, you won't even know there was a storm,  (I don't know who took this picture, I am sorry)

Sandy

Now this year, Hurricane Sandy.  Our island is again under mandatory evacuation.  Please understand that the locals here regard that as 'strongly suggested'.  Are we leaving this time? Will this be another Irene? Will we be hit with all Sandy's might?

We have no choice this time but to stay.  The economy has decided this for us, no money, no car.  You hear all over the news, prepare, prepare, prepare.  Really though, how do you prepare to be in the middle of sustained winds of 80MPH, a deluge of rain, and flooding where no land is visable?  

Preparations

Well, I am in the process of putting all my outside furniture, trash cans, etc in my shed or in the house.  
I am filling my tub with water (to flush if that is an issue)
Taped windows
Have our birth certificates, passports, ss cards, insurance cards in waterproof container at the ready.
I am filling every juice container that I have with drinking water (suggested is 1 gallon per person per day)
I am filling storage containers with water and filling my freezer to its fullest, packing it as tight as I can.
I bought tons of batteries for my radio (Shop-Rite had them on sale this week too, YAY)
I have a hand crank flashlight that has a usb cell phone charger.
Flashlights all on hand with lots of batteries for them.
Candles, Candles, Candles ~~ lighters, matches, lighters!
plenty of pet food (this year we have 2 dogs, a cat and a kitten)
Food for my daughter and myself. Peanut butter and jelly, canned spaghetti, canned chicken, tuna, bread, juice mix, snacks, crackers
games, cards and books at the ready
I am thinking of taking my photos off the walls too.  I am not sure about that though.

Outcome

Of course I have no idea yet.  I am praying that we don't get hit hard, that no one gets hit hard. I am pretty sure that won't happen though.  So my prayers are concentrated on the safety of my daughter, myself, our furbabies, my family, friends and neighbors.  I also pray for no damage to my home.  It might be asking too much, but I pray that my electricity stays on.

If all goes well I will try to post some pictures here next week, or as soon as I get power back.

If you are in the storms path, take precautions.  Do everything you can to stay safe.  I will be praying for you as well. 

God Bless us all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment